Sarah Jane Le Petit
|Readers wishing to contact the author of our genealogical pages with additional information, questions or comments, are asked to please click HERE|
|To return to the Goodall family tree, click HERE|
Descendants of Sarah Jane LE PETIT
Generation No. 1
1. SARAH JANE3 LE PETIT (JOSEPH2, JOSEPH1) was born 02 November 1795 in 9th Shire Lane, Bermondsey, London, England1, and died 08 June 1866 in 41 Willes Road, Kentish Town, Middlesex, England2. She married EDWARD SMITH3,4 09 October 1812 in Old Church, Saint Pancras, London, England5. He was born Abt. 1780 in Edinburgh, Scotland6, and died Abt. 18 April 1849 in Middlesex, England7.
Children of SARAH LE PETIT and EDWARD SMITH are:
i. ELLEN4 SMITH, b. Bef. 23 February 1814, St Pancras, Middlesex, England8.
ii. CHARLOTTE SMITH, b. 13 September 1820, Liverpool, Lancashire, England9; d. Single in 1871.
iii. CAROLINE SMITH, b. 29 March 1822, Liverpool, Lancashire, England10.
2. iv. FREDERICK SMITH, b. Bef. 27 July 1828, Liverpool, Lancashire, England; d. 25 June 1893, London, Middlesex, England.
v. CHARLES SMITH, b. 24 December 1829, London, Middlesex, England11.
3. vi. EDWIN SMITH, b. 12 January 1832, London, Middlesex, England.
vii. LOUISA SMITH, b. 22 March 1834, London, Middlesex, England12.
Generation No. 2
2. FREDERICK4 SMITH (SARAH JANE3 LE PETIT, JOSEPH2, JOSEPH1) was born Bef. 27 July 1828 in Liverpool, Lancashire, England13, and died 25 June 1893 in London, Middlesex, England14. He married ANNIE SLADE. She was born Abt. 1838 in Rettenden, Essex, England, and died Abt. 1930.
Children of FREDERICK SMITH and ANNIE SLADE are:
i. ANNIE ELLEN5 SMITH, b. Abt. June 1859, St Pancras, Middlesex, England15; d. 29 May 1924, Worthing Hospital16.
ii. CLARA JANE SMITH, b. Abt. December 1860, St Pancras, Middlesex, England17; d. 09 March 1932, London, England18.
iii. ADA MARTHA SMITH, b. Abt. June 1862, St Pancras, Middlesex, England19.
iv. FREDERICK THOMAS HAMILTON SMITH20, b. Abt. September 1864, St Pancras, Middlesex, England21.
4. v. EDWARD HEARNE SMITH, b. Abt. June 1866, James Street W, London, Middlesex, England; d. 16 November 1903, or later, place unknown. Probate granted 1918.
5. vi. ARTHUR HAMILTON SMITH, b. 26 January 1872, 41 Dartmouth Road, Highgate, London, England.
3. EDWIN4 SMITH (SARAH JANE3 LE PETIT, JOSEPH2, JOSEPH1)22 was born 12 January 1832 in London, Middlesex, England23. He married SOPHIA TROUVET CLIFFORD 14 June 1860 in Westminster, Middlesex, England. She was born Abt. 1839 in London, Middlesex, England.
Children of EDWIN SMITH and SOPHIA CLIFFORD are:
6. i. ELEANOR SOPHIA CLIFFORD5 SMITH, b. 07 September 1861, Albury House, St John's Wood Park, Hampstead, London , England; d. 30 April 1933, Surrey, England.
ii. LOUISA ALICE CLIFFORD SMITH, b. 02 February 1869, Hampstead, London, England; d. 25 March 1936, Bournemouth, Dorset, England; m. HENRY LEOPOLD WELBORE ELLIS, St George Hanover Square, London, England; b. 21 August 1870, Jessore, India; d. 13 November 1957, New Forest, Hampshire, England.
Generation No. 3
4. EDWARD HEARNE5 SMITH (FREDERICK4, SARAH JANE3 LE PETIT, JOSEPH2, JOSEPH1) was born Abt. June 1866 in James Street W, London, Middlesex, England24, and died 16 November 1903 in or later, place unknown. Probate granted 191825. He married GRACE MARIE OSBALDESTON 29 July 1893 in St John, Hampstead, London, England26. She was born Abt. June 1870 in Pancras, London, Middlesex, England27, and died Abt. December 1913 in Holborn District, Middlesex, England28.
Children of EDWARD SMITH and GRACE OSBALDESTON are:
i. GRACE FREDERICA HEARNE6 SMITH, b. Abt. 1895, Willesden, Middlesex, England.
ii. LEONARD HEARNE SMITH, b. Abt. 1896, Cricklewood, Middlesex, England; d. 11 August 1917, Belgium29.
5. ARTHUR HAMILTON5 SMITH (FREDERICK4, SARAH JANE3 LE PETIT, JOSEPH2, JOSEPH1) was born 26 January 1872 in 41 Dartmouth Road, Highgate, London, England. He married (1) DOROTHY JULIA LOUISA BAKER 1894. She was born Abt. 1873 in Upper Holloway, London, England, and died 03 September 1910 in Hill End Asylum, St Albans, Hertfordshire, England. He married (2) ELLEN RICHARDSON 23 September 1910 in The Register Office, Rochford, Essex, England30. She was born 11 March 1884 in Dublin, Ireland, and died 1972 in Salisbury, Wiltshire, England31.
One child to ARTHUR SMITH and ELLEN RICHARDSON
6. ELEANOR SOPHIA CLIFFORD5 SMITH (EDWIN4, SARAH JANE3 LE PETIT, JOSEPH2, JOSEPH1) was born 07 September 1861 in Albury House, St John's Wood Park, Hampstead, London , England, and died 30 April 1933 in Surrey, England. She married RAYNHAM VIVIAN K STEWART 27 October 1881 in Kingston on Thames, Surrey, England. He was born 12 February 1857 in Holloway, Middlesex, England, and died 27 May 1929.
Children of ELEANOR SMITH and RAYNHAM STEWART are:
i. RAYNHAM CLIFFORD6 STEWART, b. 13 August 1882, Kennington, London, England; d. 21 November 1932, Hikurangi, Northland, New Zealand.
ii. MADELINE STEWART, b. 07 September 1883, Sutton, Surrey, England; d. 17 April 1954, London, England.
iii. WILLIAM GORDON STEWART, b. 13 May 1885, Sutton, Surrey, England; d. 21 January 1952, Woking, England.
iv. ARTHUR VIVIAN STEWART, b. 29 August 1887, Richmond, Surrey, england; d. 15 May 1959, Worthing, Sussex, England.
v. VIVIAN STEWART, b. 17 December 1890, Siddlesham, Sussex, England; d. 25 August 1947, Woking, England.
vi. DOROTHY JANET STEWART, b. 02 August 1892, Walmer, Kent, England; d. 29 May 1971, Tenterden, England.
RESOURCES & NOTES
1. Familysearch.org. I.G.I. record of birth for Sarah Jane, daughter of Joseph & Sarah Le Petit, christened on 25 November 1795 in St Dunstan in the West
2. England & Wales National Probate Calendar on ancestry. The source of date and place of death for widow Sarah Jane Smith (Le Petit) with probate granted to her son Frederick Smith of 11 South Hill Park Gardens, Hampstead
3. Findmypast Census Records. On 1841 census Edward Smith age 61, an engraver, is with his wife Sarah 45, Ellen 25, Charlotte 20, Caroline 18, Frederick 12, Charles 10, Edwin 9 and Louisa 7 in the Borough of Marylebone, parish of St Pancras. In 1851 Sarah has 3 children still at home, Frederick, Edwin and Louisa. In 1861 her 4 single daughters are at home with her.
4. Research. The six years gap between Ellen & Charlotte would suggest there may have been other children who may not have survived OR may have been living at other than the family home. There are no obvious baptismal or christening records at this time, the original christening records not being on ancestry so there is no occupation for the father which helps to confirm the child is the prodigy of Edward Smith, Engraver. For follow up
5. Familysearch.org. Record of marriage for Sarah Jane Le Petit & Edward Smith
6. Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Biography for the Engraver, Edward Smith, records him as a native of Edinburgh, whose works were in the time frame 1823 - 1849.
7. www.walterscott.lib.ed.ac.uk/portraits/engravers/esmith.html. A google search for Edward Smith engraver elicited this result
"Edward Smith (fl. 1823 - 1849)The landscape, figure and portrait engraver Edward Smith may have been a native of Edinburgh but appears to have worked mostly in London. His earliest recorded plates are for Effiges Poeticae in 1823. He went on to contribute to Hogarth Moralised (1831), Hogarth's Works (1833), Fisher's Drawing Room Scrapbook (1835), Allan Cunningham's "The Cabinet Gallery of Pictures", Edward Baine's "History of the County Palatine & Duchy of Lancaster (both 1836), John Carne's "Syria" (1836 - 38), Finden's "Royal Gallery of British Art" (1838 - 49), G. N. Wright's "Lancashire" (1842) and "Gallery of engravings (1844 - 46), and "Engravings after the Best Pictures" (1843). He engraved "The Jew's harp" by Sir David Wilkie for S. C. Hall's "Gems of European Art" (1846) which was reprinted along with Smith's engraving of "The Piper" in the "Wilkie Gallery" (1849). Further plates after Wilkie, including Village Festival, Rent Day and Guess My Name were independently issued by the print publishers between 1844 and 1846.
Bibliography Engen, Rodney K "Dictionary of Victorian Engravers, Print Publishers and their Works (Cambridge : Chadwyck-Healey c.1979) Hunnisett, Basil. "A Dictionary of British Steel Engravers" (Leigh-on-Sea : F. Lewis 1980)
8. Ancestry.co.uk. London, England Baptismal record for Ellen Smith on 23 February 1814, St Pancras Church, Camden Town, Middlesex. Their address was given as Jersey Road
9. Ancestry.co.uk. England & Wales Christening records for Charlotte Smith on 26 November 1820 at Liverpool, Lancashire. Also the source of her date of birth
10. Ancestry.co.uk. England & Wales Christening records for Caroline Smith on 3 November 1822, Liverpool, Lancashire
11. Ancestry.co.uk. London Baptism record for Charles Smith, son of Edward Smith Engraver, & Sarah Smith, baptised 11 April 1830 at All Saints church, Camden Town, Middlesex. Family residence College Street
12. Ancestry.co.uk. London Baptism record for Louisa Smith on 4 May 1834. Their residence was then given as Randolph Street
13. Ancestry.co.uk. Likely christening record for Frederick Smith, son of Edward & Sarah, at Edge Hill, Lancashire, on 27 July 1828
14. Ancestry.co.uk. National Probate Calendar record for Frederick Smith "of 11 South Hill Park Gardens, St John Hampstead, Middlesex, esquire, died 25 June 1893. Probate London 15 November to Edwin Smith, Frederick Thomas Smith and Edward Hearne Smith esquires. Effects 1932 pounds 7s 9d"
15. Freebmd.org.uk. Birth registration for Annie Ellen Smith in the June quarter 1859 (volume 1b page 143)
16. Ancestry.co.uk. National Probate Calendar record for "Annie Ellen Smith of 92 Hampstead Way Golders Green, Middlesex, spinster died 29 May 1924 at Hospital Worthing. Probate London 26 July to Arthur Hamilton Smith civil engineer. Effects 1772 pounds 1s 11d"
17. Freebmd.org.uk. Birth registration for Clara Jane Smith in the December quarter 1860 (volume 1b page 130)
18. Ancestry.co.uk. National Probate Calendar record for "Clara Jane Smith of 41 Midhurst Ave Muswell Hill Middlesex, spinster, died 9 March 1932. Probate London 29 June to Frederick Thomas Smith gentleman and Ada Martha Smith spinster. Effects 1457 pound 2s 1d"
19. Freebmd.org.uk. Birth registration for Ada Martha Smith in the June quarter 1862, Pancras (volume 1b page 150 )
20. Findmypast Census. In 1891 Frederick Smith's occupation is recorded as Scuptist - Animal Painter. In 1901, 36 and single, still living at home, his occupation is recoded as Artist Sculptor
21. Freebmd.org.uk. Likely birth registration for the September quarter 1864 for Frederick Thomas Smith (volume 1b page 173)
22. Ancestry Family Tree CGGWT of Honor Wayne. The source of information on Edwin Smith's marriage, wife and their children.
23. Ancestry.co.uk. London Baptism record for Edwin Smith baptised on 15 April 1832 at Old St Pancras Parish, Middlesex. Their residence was given as College Street
24. Freebmd.org.uk. Likely birth registration for Edward H(enry) Smith in the June quarter 1866 (volume 1b page 155)
25. Ancestry.co.uk. In the National Probate Calendar the probate notice for Edward Hearne Smith "of 64 Lincoln Road, East Finchley, Middlesex, died on or since 16 November 1903 at a place unknown. Administration London 8 February to Grace Frederica Hearne Smith spinster. Effects 699 pounds 10s 8d" Probate was granted on 8 February 1918.
26. Ancestry.co.uk. In the London, England Marriages & Banns the marriage record for Edward Hearne, surveyor, 26 years, of 11 South Hill Park Gardens to Grace Marie Osbaldeston, 23 years, of 41 Denning Road. His father Frederick's rank or profession was given as Gentleman and her father, Edward Tinckler Osbaldeston, as Solicitor
27. Freebmd.org.uk. Birth registration for Grace Marie Osbaldeston in the June quarter 1870 (volume 1b page 139)
28. Freebmd.org.uk. Likely death registration for Grace M H Smith, age 43 in the December quarter 1913 (volume 1b page 693) On the 1911census Grace's name was recorded as Grace Marie Hearne Smith although Hearne was a Christian name of her husband not part of his surname. Both their children were also given Hearne as a second or third Christian name. When her husband's probate was granted in 1918 it was granted to their daughter. For follow up
29. Ancestry.co.uk. National Probate Calendar record for "Leonard Hearne Smith of 41 Midhurst Avenue, Muswell Hill, Middlesex, died 11 August 1917 in Belgium, killed in action" Probate granted to his sister Grace Frederica Hearne Smith
30. Ancestry.co.uk. Copy of GRO Marriage certificate, courtesy of Honor Wayne, for Arthur Hamilton (37, widower, civil engineer) and Ellen Richardson (25, spinster) Residence at the time of marriage was Studio . . . Parade, Southend. Ellen was the daughter of James Stanley Richardson, Captain 4th Bedfordshire Regiment. Also courtesy of Honor's tree that Ellen's mother was Elizabeth Gillespie
31. Ancestry.co.uk. England & Wales, Death Index record for Ellie Hamilton-Smith, born 11 March 1884 in Salisbury (volume 7c page 2434)